Most Catholics have no idea how many Popes have strongly recommended the study of St. Thomas Aquinas. One would be hard pressed to find any other doctor of the Church who has received so much papal approbation.
Here are just a few quotes to draw your attention to the emphasis the Church has placed on the works of Aquinas:
- “Aquinas alone enlightened the Church more than all other doctors; a man can derive more profit in a year from his books than from spending his whole life studying the doctrines of others.” – Pope John XXII
- Aquinas is “the most brilliant light of the Church.” – St. Pius V
- Aquinas’ works are “…more brilliant than the sun and written without the shadow of error.” – Pope Benedict XIII
- Aquinas is “the leader and master of theology, whose divine genius fashioned weapons marvelously suited to protect the truth and destroy the many errors of the times… to disregard Aquinas cannot be done without suffering great harm.” – Pope Pius X
- Aquinas was “…a master whose doctrine should be followed in a special way at all times.” – Pope Benedict XV
- Aquinas is “… a master of thought and a model of the right way to do theology.” – Pope John Paul II
Watch this quick video to see why Aquinas is still important today.
Want to learn more about the philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas? Here’s a great place to start:
Get the Introduction To The Philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas program available here.