Both philosophy and theology talk about things like God, but does this mean they are the same field of study? Many atheists seem to think that the only way to talk about God is through faith.
But that is simply not true. It’s not only false, but it is also misleading.
It is misleading because for faith can have a rational basis.
It’s false because God can be studied through human reason alone apart from faith. That’s what philosophers do.
Philosophy uses unaided human reason to know the deepest causes of things. Theology too, often studies the deepest causes of things but from a different aspect. Theology starts with principles known by faith while philosophy proceeds on that which can be known by human reason.
And even though both philosophy and theology may have the same subject matter at times (such as God) that doesn’t make them the same.
This video explains this important difference between philosophy and theology.
This course covers the following topics (and more):
- Why Philosophy is Important
- Why Aquinas’ Philosophy Is Commonsensical And Based On Evidence
- A Quick Note On Aquinas’ Spirituality
- Aquinas On The Distinction Between Philosophy and Theology
- Why Divine Revelation Is Needed In Addition To Philosophy
- Important Things That Reason Can Tell Us About The World
- Why This Philosophical Doctrine “Matters”
- What things are REALLY made out of
- How to understand Aquinas’ famous “five proofs” for the existence of God
- Why the human mind can know things apart from modern scientific methods
- WHAT THOMAS AQUINAS THINKS ABOUT THE NATURE OF GOD
- The Problem Of How We Can Even Talk About God And How To Solve It
- Why All Of God’s Attributes Are Really United As One
- WHAT ST. THOMAS AQUINAS THINKS ABOUT CREATION
- What Does It Mean To Create “Out Of Nothing”?
- Why Only God Can Create
- How Did God Create The World?
- Why Did God Create The World At All?
- Why Did God Create This Particular World?
- Why Did God Create A World With Evil In It?
- The Mystery Of Evil
- What Does The Statement “God Can Do Anything” Mean?
- Can God Make a rock so big that He cannot lift it?
- WHAT DOES ST. THOMAS AQUINAS THINKS ABOUT THE SOUL?
- What Is The Soul?
- Why The Soul Cannot Be A Body
- Why Humans are Body-Soul Composites
- WILL THE SOUL DIE?
- ST. THOMAS AQUINAS ON THE IMMORTALITY OF THE SOUL?
- Is The Soul Immortal And How Do We Know?
- WHAT DOES ST. THOMAS AQUINAS THINK ABOUT FREE WILL?
- What Is The Will?
- How Free Will Is Possible
- The Important Difference Between Real And Apparent Goods
- WHAT CAN WE KNOW AND HOW DO WE KNOW IT? ST. THOMAS AQUINAS ON HUMAN KNOWLEDGE
- Why the question of knowledge is an important one
- How We Can Have Metaphysical Knowledge
- WHAT IS RIGHT AND WRONG?
- ST. THOMAS AQUINAS’ MORAL THEORY (and why our modern society is very confused about these questions)
- Why life has a purpose and what that purpose is.
- Why No Created Things Can Completely Satisfy Us
- Why Only God Can Give Us Perfect Satisfaction
- What Good And Bad Actions Really Are
- The Importance Of Moral Virtue
- How To Understand The Natural Law What Does The Natural Law Teach?
- How Aquinas’ Philosophical Ethics Are Perfected By Theology
- WHAT ST. THOMAS AQUINAS SAYS ABOUT POLITICS
- Why Government Has A Natural Origin:
- Why Government Is Willed By God
- What Are The Proper Roles Of The Church And State?
- Why The State Does Not Have Supreme Authority
- How Unjust Laws Exist
- What Is The Best Form Of Government?
Impressed? Just wait until you check out the rest of the course by clicking the link below: